September 26, 2022
Hurricane Ian to hit Florida

What Floridians Need to Know About Hurricane Ian

Hurricane Ian is likely to be Florida’s first hurricane of the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. At its current rate of development and speed, it will likely make landfall on Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Who Is at Risk of Suffering Home Damage from Hurricane Ian? A storm surge watch has been called all […]
September 9, 2022
Wildfires in Florida

Are Wildfires a Risk in Florida?

Natural disasters in Florida are commonly associated with water (hurricanes, tropical storms and floods). Many people, including residents living in at-risk areas, don’t realize the Sunshine State is also at risk for wildfires. Wildfires are most prevalent in states like California, Oregon and Montana. Although the western region of the United States is notorious […]
September 9, 2022
Animal risks after hurricanes

Animal Risks After a Hurricane in Florida

The Atlantic hurricane season, which affects Florida from approximately June 1 to November 30 can wreak havoc on many coastal and inland communities. There are many dangers associated with hurricanes, such as strong winds, storm surge flooding and tornadoes, that can claim lives and destroy property. Post-hurricane media attention tends to focus on the […]
September 9, 2022
Hurricane warning sign

Has the NOAA Changed Their 2022 Hurricane Season Prediction?

The short answer is not really. In August, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration slightly lowered their prediction of an above-normal hurricane season from 65 percent to 60 percent and increased the chance of a normal activity season to 30 percent, but the chance of a below-normal season was left at 10 percent. September […]
July 27, 2022
home destroyed by hurricane

Breaking Down Five Devastating U.S. Hurricanes

Hurricanes are not unique to modern humans. People in North America have been suffering the devastating effects of hurricanes for as long as the Florida and Gulf Coasts have been populated. The damages caused by a hurricane can leave a lasting economic, physical and emotional impact on cities and the people affected.
July 27, 2022
street damaged by hurricane

Are Atlantic Hurricane Seasons Getting Worse?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center annually forecasts overall seasonal activity, including hurricane predictions in the Atlantic. They are still conducting research to determine whether hurricane seasons are actually increasing in severity or whether the perceived increase in hurricane frequency and strength is due to other factors. Some speculate that […]
July 27, 2022
hurricane over the globe

How Are Hurricanes Given Names and When are They Retired?

Attributing names to hurricanes is a centuries-old tradition. It dates back to the early 1800s when people of the West Indies named tropical cyclones after saints (i.e., Hurricane Santa Ana and Hurricane San Felipe). Australian metrologist Clement Wragge was the first to give women’s names to tropical storms.
July 27, 2022
trees blowing in hurricane winds

Understanding the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Intensity Wind Scale

Hurricanes, the most dangerous storms on Earth, are a force to be reckoned with. The strength of a storm will influence the outcome for affected areas, which can range from only minor property damage to complete destruction. Thanks to meteorologist Robert Simpson and wind engineer Herb Saffir, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) can distribute […]
July 27, 2022
eye of a hurricane

Tell Me About Hurricane Andrew

Hurricane Andrew was a Category 5 hurricane that made landfall on Elliott Key, Florida on August 24, 1992. It was (and still is) the strongest hurricane in decades to strike southern Florida in terms of structural damage. It was also the costliest Florida hurricane until Hurricane Irma struck 25 years later.